How to Keep Hip Pain Under ControlJanuary 9, 2020
It’s common: as we age, our joints begin to weaken which can cause pain. One prevalent ache is in the hip – in fact, one in four adults will experience hip pain. And the causes of hip pain range from muscle strains to arthritis or inflammatory disorders. One way to help relieve pain and restore mobility is through gently exercising your hips. Keep reading to learn a few exercises to minimize hip pain.
5 Exercises for Hip Pain
- Butterfly Stretch: As the name implies, this exercise helps stretch your hips. Sit on the ground, bend your legs and bring your feet together so that the soles of your feet touch. With your knees falling to the sides, bring your heels in as close as you can and lean forward into a stretch.
- Knee Lift: Another exercise that helps stretch your hips is the knee lift. First, lay on your back and extend both of your legs flat on the floor. Bring both knees up toward your chest and keep both hands on your knees to pull them closer to you. Hold the stretch for ten seconds and gently lower your legs back to the floor.
- Squat: This exercise is great for strengthening your hips. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and bend your knees, dropping your rear end directly towards the ground while keeping your back straight during this movement, then stand back up and repeat.
- Stomach Exercise: For both strengthening and stabilizing your hips, try this exercise. Lie flat on your back and bend your knees upward with feet on the floor. Put your hands under the small of your back and pull your belly button downward towards the floor, holding for 20 seconds each time.
- Swimming: For all-encompassing fitness, swimming is one of the best exercises for your joints. Swimming is a low-impact exercise that offers benefits while being easy on your joints thanks to water’s natural buoyancy.
Learn More About Healthy Living at Winchester Gardens
At Winchester Gardens, our wellness program is personalized to each individual’s unique goals and abilities. LivWell is our award-winning program that touches on all seven dimensions of wellness. If you’re looking to strengthen and stretch your hips, we’ll introduce you to the activities and amenities that may help you reach your goal. We work together to create a plan that works for you.
Learn more about senior living at Winchester Gardens. Contact us with any questions you may have and schedule your personal tour of our community today.