Best Tips to Lose Weight
Healthy Aging | 07/10/19
Shed the Pounds: Best Tips to Lose Weight
Excess weight is something to be taken seriously, especially when considering the increased risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, and other serious health conditions and diseases. There are plenty of fad diets and programs intended to help you shed pounds quickly, but these can sometimes cause damage to your body and leave you feeling weak and irritable. But, losing weight can go well with the right plan. At Winchester Gardens, we’ve pulled together a list of some healthy weight loss tips.
How to Lose Weight the Healthy Way
- Drink Plenty of Water: It’s always important for your body to stay hydrated, but especially so when looking to lose weight. And, be sure to drink a glass of water before working out. Drinking water can boost your metabolism by 24–30% over a period of an hour to an hour and a half, helping you burn off even more calories while exercising.
- Watch What You Eat: Although it’s not necessary to give up indulgent foods completely, enjoy carb- and sugar-heavy foods within reasonable limits. Find a balanced meal plan that works for you, focusing on fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, low-fat dairy, and whole grains. To get started, check out MyPlate for Older Adults, developed by Tufts University and AARP, for a healthy eating guideline.
- Plan an Exercise Routine: Developing a physical fitness routine that fits within your needs and schedule will help shape healthy habits. Try a variety of exercises, including strength training, to ensure a full-body workout. For those who are concerned about joint health, low-impact exercises like swimming and brisk walking pack a powerful punch when consistently added to your routine at least three or four times a week.
- Allow Yourself Room to Breathe: Losing weight doesn’t have to mean passing up the cake at a grandchild’s birthday or pushing yourself at the gym until you’re sore. Listen to your body and remember that moderation is key when it comes to losing weight in a healthy way. While it’s important to stay on track with weight loss plans, allow for some wiggle room and know that the goal is to achieve a healthy body – not to make yourself miserable.
- Find Support: Friends and family are exceptional motivators, making sure you stay on track and helping you every step of the way. And, always seek a doctor’s opinion when making lifestyle changes. Not only will a healthcare professional offer support in terms of encouragement, but they will also have the best idea of which plans would work for you and connect you to helpful experts.
Learn How to Achieve a Healthy Life at Winchester Gardens
At Winchester Gardens, wellness is ingrained in everything we do. That’s because we have LivWell, our award-winning holistic wellness program, which allows you to touch on all seven dimensions of wellness, including physical. LivWell is all about choice, meaning you have direct input as to how involved you want to be. As a new resident, you’ll be asked to create a personalized profile highlighting your main wellness goals, something unique to our program. If one of your goals is to lose weight, our staff can introduce you to LivWell programs and activities that could help you achieve that goal.
Contact us today to learn more about LivWell or schedule your personal tour.