Aging and Mental Health: Keeping Your Mind HealthyJanuary 8, 2021
It may surprise you to know that about 15% of seniors suffer from a mental health disorder according to the WHO (World Health Organization). Thankfully, many of these conditions are easily preventable through an active and healthy lifestyle. Winchester Gardens understands the importance of mental health to your overall wellbeing. That’s why we offer a variety of ways for seniors experience complete, positive mental health.
Mental Health Activities for Seniors
At Winchester Gardens, you can participate in a unique collection of activities and amenities right on our campus that will aid you in your mental health journey.
- Keep your mind and body active with monthly activities. We understand that every resident is unique and that each person enjoys different things. So, we offer a wide variety of daily, weekly and monthly activities to pique your interest and keep you energized. Not only will these activities keep your mind and body moving, but they’ll give you a chance to build new friendships with other residents.
- Enjoy delicious and healthy meals. Proper nutrition is one of the key influencing factors in both your physical and mental health. That’s why the meals at Winchester Gardens are full of nutritional value while never sacrificing taste. In fact, Executive Chef Wayne Ricco studied at the acclaimed Culinary Institute of America, so you know you’ll always have your fill of unparalleled meals.
- Stay fit with an active lifestyle. Physical wellness is closely associated with your mental health. That’s why Winchester Gardens provides an assortment of fitness opportunities so you can integrate physical activity into your everyday life. You’ll find fitness classes, an indoor pool and a fitness center on our campus, among other options.
- Sharpen your mind through reading. What better way to relax or grow your knowledge base than by reading a new book? Our senior community library offers an expanse of topics, so there’s always something to spark your interest and expand your mind. Grab an old favorite to relax and unwind or pick up something new to engage your brain.
- Connect with the world around you. Because Winchester Gardens is close to everything, it offers the ideal opportunity for you to engage with the surrounding community. New York City is a short 16 miles away while our beautiful town of Maplewood, NJ provides plenty of art and exquisite dining for you to enjoy.
Experience Positive Mental Health for Seniors at Winchester Gardens
At Winchester Gardens, we understand that there are a multitude of things that impact your mental health, which is why our LivWell program caters to the individual rather relying on a one-size-fits-all program.
Resident Maimuna Slatewala told us, “The LivWell health and wellness program at the community hosts activities and programs throughout the year and I recently helped coordinate a cultural event where we shared recipes and a traditional Indian lunch, visited a Hindu temple, and participated in Bollywood dance lessons. I attend the exercise group about five times a week and go to the gym to help with my strength training. I also participate in the Brain Games and the computer iPad instructions. There is so much to do and learn here all the time. The best part about living here is I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.”